Did you know that Shepherd’s Dream has a points program? It’s a great way to maximize your purchases with us, whether you’re outfitting every bedroom in your home all at once or upgrading your bedroom one piece at a time.
Counting Sheep Blog
Beyond Ties & Tools: Gifting Relaxation This Father’s Day
Spring is giving way to summer, and right around the corner is Father’s Day on Sunday June 18. Here at Shepherd’s Dream, we like to think a bit beyond the box, and when it comes to Father’s Day, the usual ideas can seem a bit limiting, and they’re not for every dad or father figure.
Especially when something like a tool or piece of sports equipment is highly specialized and technical, it can be difficult to get it right. And that’s when we thought…who couldn’t use some relaxation?
There are as many ways to relax as there are dads. For example, some find golf relaxing, and some throw their clubs into the trees. Some are outdoorsy and some are bookish. So we looked further afield and quizzed our staff for some of their best Father’s Day ideas, including some of our very own in-house items, of course.
Not Your Run-of-the-Mill Gifts
(Psst! If you’re interested in any Shepherd’s Dream products for dad, be sure to read all the way through to the bottom.)
- Coyuchi Unisex Organic Waffle Robe. A sublimely soft cotton robe that will instantly relax the dad in your life.
- Rod and Reel. There are lots of ways to catch a fish—fly fishing, trolling, drift boating, marine fishing—so be sure you know his preferred methods. For a great general start, we love this Quest rod from LL Bean.
- Shepherd’s Dream Mattress Topper. What better way to help the man in your life indulge in some much-needed relaxation than the ultimate sleeping tool—The Snuggle Mate Wool Topper. Especially great for any dad who’s got some aches and pains going on.
- Shibumi Shade. A very cool sun shelter that can go anywhere, made with recycled ocean-bound plastic.
- In the App Store. Is dad a big audiobook listener? Get a gift certificate to Audible. Is he dabbling in mindfulness and meditation? Try Calm, HeadSpace, or Waking Up. Into fitness, but not into gyms? Home Workout—No Equipment has him covered, find it for both iPhone and Android. Beer enthusiast? Untappd allows him to review his samplings and connects him with fellow beer lovers. Brand new dad? Baby Tracker, for both iPhone and Android, helps parents monitor and record essential information about their new arrival. There’s an app for every dad!
- Health and Fitness Trackers. These are all the rage right now. Look for quality ones from FitBit, Garmin, and Apple. They monitor Heart Rate Variability, one of the most important markers for tracking stress, so this can really help him relax.
No-Purchase-Necessary Experiences and Heartfelt Gestures
There’s a reason Quality Time is one of the Love Languages. Just as with Mother’s Day, some want to celebrate it with the kids and others prefer to get some time away. Be sure to check and see which would be more relaxing. So whether the dad is in your household or you’re lucky enough to live near the father figures in your life, here are some refreshing options for the special guys in your life.
- The Great Outdoors. Nature is always free! We heard from several dads on staff that a day of fishing is a great gift. Consider anything your dad loves to do outside: hiking, biking, birding, boating.
- Binge Watching Marathon. Maybe the dad on your list is just like the guy in this Onion article, and all he wants is some Netflix and chill time. Offer an interruption-free session.
- Dad Time Coupons. Get the young ‘uns involved in brainstorming fun ways to connect and then delivering the love. Think massages, yard work, taking out the trash, doing the dishes, nighttime cuddles. These are great for spending quality time with older dads too, think of events he might enjoy and chores or projects he might need help with.
- Craft a Music Playlist. If you know his favorites, put them together in a playlist, kinda like the days of mixtapes. This works for dads at a distance too.
- Play Chef. Find out all of dad’s favorite foods and craft a meal just for him.
Come and Knock On Our Door
If you happen to be near our showroom on the plaza in Ashland, Oregon, stop by for your Father’s Day gifts! We’ve got several items we don’t carry online, and almost everything in our store is perfectly geared toward relaxation.
- Coyuchi Eye Mask. Soft and comfortable organic cotton mask for travel or those daytime Zzzs.
- Coyuchi Slippers. 100% organic cotton house shoes for indoor comfort.
- Camamu Bar Soaps. For dads, we love the Coffee Kitchen Soap, Dirty Dog Shampoo, and Man Cave Soap.
- Coyuchi Robes. We’ve got these in-store too!
- Icebreaker Boxer Briefs. Dads love basics, and these are some of the best on the market.
However you choose to celebrate Father’s Day, we hope it’s a lovely one for you and the fatherly guys in your life.