Did you know that Shepherd’s Dream has a points program? It’s a great way to maximize your purchases with us, whether you’re outfitting every bedroom in your home all at once or upgrading your bedroom one piece at a time.
Counting Sheep Blog
Spring Care Tips For Your Wool Bedding
Bring the freshness of spring into your bedroom. It is the perfect time to give your wool bedding a little extra, tender loving care.
Wool bedding will last for several decades with proper care. Here are some tips on how you can care for your wool bedding:
Every three months or more during the sunny months, remove all your bedding from your mattress and place your bedding out in the sun. Sun will naturally deodorize, bleach, disinfect and revitalize your bedding. You can hang your bedding over railings or furniture, out the window, or lay your bedding on a blanket in the sun.
Once per year, take your wool mattress outside for a full day in the sun and air; you will love how fresh everything will smell and feel after a full day of sunshine!
If you live in a particularly humid climate you can take additional steps throughout the year:
- Use a dehumidifier in your bedroom.
- Sun and air bedding more frequently.
- Fold all bedding over in half to allow the bottom of the mattress additional air .
- Vacuum your mattress to pull air through the fibers.
Beyond these tips for regular care of your wool bed & bedding, here are some suggestions on how to care for your bedding when accidents happen:
Our non-washable wool products can be gently spot cleaned. Make sure to avoid warm/hot water and to dry the item completely before use.
- Use towels to remove most of the spill.
- Smaller accidents can be spot cleaned with a soft brush and natural wool wash. Let cool water run through the effected area until soap is washed away and water comes through clear.
- To remove residual stains you can dampen the stained area ( use a little lemon or non-chlorine bleach for additional bleaching) and place in the sun.
- Clean up as much as possible with towels.
- Fill bathtub or basin with cool/tepid water.
- Add a bit of wool wash to the water or directly to soiled area.
- Submerge soiled area and swish gently in the water.
- Drain the basin, press water out of the bedding, and repeat as desired. Avoid wringing or twisting the wet wool.
- To remove odors you can dilute vinegar in water and pour through the soiled area (baking soda and water can also be used, as an alternative to vinegar).
- Place the item in the sun to dry quickly or next to a heat source.
- Again, be sure that the item is thoroughly dry before using. Further, some of our customers have found that by placing their wool article in a dryer on low heat they can fluff the wool.
For more information on caring for your wool bedding, Click here.
If you have any questions or concerns about caring for your precious wool bedding, please feel free to call our customer service number, 800-966-5540.